Hop-Scotch is a Lovian post-punk band with a career spanning more than four decades, having formed in Hurbanova in 1972. Their music is classified as new wave and no wave, but they are, for the most part, a post-punk band. They have been a part of the Lovian punk scene, and are known for their surreal lyrics and bizarre live shows.
For a long time, the band have been quite popular in the indie musical scene, and have sold to date approximately 6 million albums.
In 1980, the band's first album, Go Forth!, was released on Lovilago Music in Lovia, Mäöres, Brunant, Burenia, Tagog, and Chvarqvia, and on A&M Records in North America, South America, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Europe, and Asia. They have continued to release new material quite frequently, with their latest album being HOPSCOTCH2016.
The band currently consists of Massimiliano, Jackson, Tommy Zion, Mark Garfield, the Inzaghi brothers (Vincenzio and Nunzio), Jackson's daughter Harmony, and Bob Schlitz.
The beginnings (1972-1980) Edit
Massimiliano and Jackson met in Hurbanova at the now-closed Musicator record shop. The shop mainly stocked psychedelic and glam rock that was invading the charts at the time in the US and UK, as well as a small amount of progressive rock. Jackson was at that point working as a janitor, but he was also teaching himself to play guitar at the same stage. The band's style originally incorporated many aspects of the music that they listened to at Musicator.
In mid-1973, the band gave their first performance at the Lyric Theatre in Noble City, under the name 'The Clean Community'. Around this time Tommy Zion and the Inzaghi brothers also joined.
Some time after, the band released a demo tape, and changed their name to Hop-Scotch, which was originally spelled as one word: Jackson wanted to add the hyphen 'so it would look more original'. In 1975, Nunzio announced that he would be temporarily leaving the band to play alongside an American friend in the band Living Truth, however since Living Truth was short-lived, he was able to return.
Hop-Scotch's 1st Album... Well Kinda, their first EP, was released in 1976, and picked up the attention of a new record label, Lovilago Music. The label was interested in their work, and, according to Tommy Zion in an interview with Tone Factory, 'They didn't care about what we sounded like. All they needed was that we were Lovian, and local talent, and they could pick us up. And they did.'
After a number of other EPs, Mark Garfield joined in 1980, as the band held auditions for a bassist (having previously used two guitar tracks for the purpose). Their first album, Go Forth!, was released that summer. While not a commercial success, it helped to launch Lovilago as a record label, described as 'Lovia's first'.
Live shows have been getting technogically advanced for the band ever since the early-90's.
- Massimiliano Di Traglia (1972-present) - lead vocals, synthesizer, digital piano
- Jackson Doe (1972-present) - electric guitar, backing vocals
- Tommy Zion (1972-present) - electric guitar, backing vocals
- Mark Garfield (1980-present) - electric bass guitar, keyboard bass, bass synthesizer, double bass, backing vocals
- Vincenzio Inzaghi (1972-present) - synthesizer, backing vocals
- Nunzio Inzaghi (1972-present) - synthesizer, keyboard bass, backing vocals
- Harmony Doe (2007-present) - rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, banjo, backing vocals
- Bob Schlitz (1998-present) - acoustic drums, drum synthesizers, drum machines, backing vocals
- Stacy Stravinsky (1972-2006, died 2006) - rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar, banjo, backing vocals
- Pierre Alméras (1972-1998, died 1998) - acoustic drums, drum synthesizers, drum machines, backing vocals
Main article: Hop-Scotch discography
- Go Forth! (1980, Lovilago/A&M)
- The Great Pretenders (1981, Lovilago/A&M)
- My Bathroom (1982, Lovilago/A&M)
- Motorcycles (1983, Lovilago/A&M)
- Off Earth (1985, Lovilago/A&M)
- Meanwhile (1988, Vendetta)
- Channel 69 (1989, Vendetta)
- 56 Miles North of Pluto (1990, Vendetta/Interscope)
- Voodoo Monkey (1992, Interscope)
- Temple of Hop-Scotch (1994, Interscope)
- Super-Mix (1996, Interscope)
- Anti-Itch Formula (1998, Interscope)
- Y2K (2000, Interscope Geffen A&M)
- Summer Nights (2002, Lovilago/Razor & Tie)
- Sorrow (2007, Lovilago/Razor & Tie)
- Vengeance (2008, Lovilago/Razor & Tie)
- Go Forth Again! (2010, Lovilago/Frontiers)
- Testing (2015, Lovilago/Frontiers)
- HOPSCOTCH2016 (2016, Lovilago/Frontiers)
- Hop-Scotch's 1st Album... Well Kinda (1976, Super)
- The Super Men (1979, Super)
- Piano (1980, Lovilago/A&M)
- Planet Earth (1986, Lovilago/A&M)
- Jairmany Calling! (2003, Lovilago/Razor & Tie)
- Save the 99% Yuppies (2011 Lovilago/Frontiers)
Live Albums Edit
- Live in the USA (1982, Lovilago/A&M)
- Live from the Planet Googol (1986, Lovilago/A&M)
- Se Souvenir de Pierre (1999, Interscope)
- Recorded Live at a Hop-Scotch Grog (2003, Lovilago/Razor & Tie)
- Citation Needed (live EP, 2013)
- HOPSCOTCH2016LIVE (2016, Lovilago/Frontiers)
Compilation/remix albums Edit
- Number Zero Collection (1983, Lovilago/A&M)
- Leftovers: Part I (1991)
- ReMIXXED Magic (1998, Interscope)
- Leftovers: Part II (2001)